Who We Are
Action Communities for Health, Innovation, and EnVironmental changE (ACHIEVE) is a collaborative approach to develop and implement solutions that prevent chronic diseases and related risk factors that is supported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)’s Healthy Communities Program. ACHIEVE is a partnership between local communities and national and state organizations joined in a movement to create healthier places to live, work, learn and play.
What We Do
ACHIEVE communities have demonstrated success in making local improvements like working with city planners to install bicycle lanes to encourage biking to school; creating tobacco free parks; and sponsoring farmers markets to increase access to fresh fruits and vegetables.
NACDD selects and funds 10 new ACHIEVE communities
- Dalton (GA) - Community Health Transformation
- Daytona Beach (FL) - Daytona BEACH (Best Environment for Active Community Health)
- Eugene (OR) - Creating a Healthy Community through Policy Change
- Frankfort (IN) - Healthy Communities Clinton County
- Kahoka (MO) - Shape Up Clark County
- Manchester (KY) - Healthy Manchester
- Seaford (DE) - Sussex County Healthy Eating Active Living
- Spartanburg (SC) - Live Well Spartanburg
- Rutland (VT) - Rutland County- Healthy, Active, Smoke Free
- Ukiah (CA) - Mendocino County Enhancing Community Health Options (ECHO)
The five national organizations involved in ACHIEVE—National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO), National Association of Chronic Disease Directors (NACDD), National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA), the YMCA of the USA (Y-USA), and the Society for Public Health Education (SOPHE)—are able to leverage each other’s assets and expertise in providing support to the selected communities. This network enables the communities to have access to innovative strategies and solutions, creating a larger mobilized movement to create healthier places.
In January 2008, 10 initial communities were jointly selected by NACDD and Y-USA to pilot the ACHIEVE model. During the next few years, these organizations, along with NACCHO and NRPA individually selected and funded approximately 40 new communities each year (10 per organization). So far 133 communities have been funded by the national organizations on behalf of ACHIEVE.
For more information about ACHIEVE, please visit www.achievecommunities.org.
To explore our podcast and social media training website, please visit www.achievecast.com.